Saturday, December 19, 2009

Poor Poor Bessie

I name my cars. (Doesn't everybody?)Everyone of them is called Bessie. (I didn't claim to be creative!) Bessie Blue was my little blue Ford Escort that I drove throughout highschool. Bess -tus (Bess for short) came next, my white stratus. Then came Ms. Bessie Vanne- we lovingly called her Bessie.

Poor Bessie was squished between two cars in a rush hour collision on Friday. A perfect mixture of a crappy intersection, an inexperienced driver and ill-placed stop lights.

For those of you who live in the same city as I...I am referencing the spot of 56th street just as you pass Don and Millie's and start back down the hill heading north . I was stopped at the Elkcrest stop light behind a number of other cars. The car behind me ran the Edgewood light and SMACK-ed into me. I then hit the lady in front of me. scrunched. poor poor bessie.

The girl who hit me was just a teenager and instantly became hysterical. I mean crocodile tears and sobs. I could barely understand her. Then she started know the cry hiccups that come when your emotionally spent! The lady I hit... was not helping. She told us to look on the bright side- She didn't have to go to work tonight.

The girl went back into hysterics. At first I was mad...I didn't need this. My daughter was waiting outside of school waiting to be picked up...I was already running late...I needed my car to get us all back to GI town for the was going to be paid off in two months for CRY and OUT LOUD! ughhhhh! But I suppressed all that anger and told the girl to breathe. It was going to be fine. I told her to get back in her was freezing. As she's walking back to her car...the other lady mentions the police are on their way.

The girl proceeds to freak out again. I walk her back to her car and tell her to get in and wait. I needed to make some phone the the insurance company.

Obviously the girl was at fault for damage to all three vehicles. I was thankful when her dad finally arrived to help console her.

John went and picked up Kwynn and came back and waited for the police to finish. We pulled over on a side street to check out the damage better. Pieces of plastic and metal were falling off Bessie as she trudged along. She didn't sound so hot. And didn't look so hot.

We decided to take her home (we weren't far). I got her into the garage when I noticed a nasty smell. Bessie was smokin! There was some electrical damage and she was filling the garage with grey smoke.

John took her out and parked her in the drive acceptable distance away from the house. We really didn't need a house fire too!

We quickly grabbed everything out of the van and watched with anticipation from the garage as John hit the lock button on the keychain. I don't know what we were all explosion or something!? It was kind of funny. We all just looked at eachother, shut the garage door and went in the house.

Here she is...

and that's just her front end. Bessie sustained rear damage as well. Her back bumper is sagging, its scraped and dented and her hatch won't open and close properly. Poor girl...wish it didn't have to be this way!

We'll wait and see what the car docs say.

1 comment:

The Brink Blog said...

oh jeesh...and having an accident with a teenager is never fun! oh well, we all have been there before and it sounds like you consoled her perfectly (like you always do). keep us posted with what the car docs say!