Saturday, August 11, 2012

Closure

On May 25th, we lost an amazing woman. And when I say amazing, I mean a truly special spirit. One I was blessed to know and call grandma for 14 years. Tillie Stevens, was and will always be John's grandma and the girls great grandma. She was 96 years old when she passed. Her death wasn't a surprise- I mean she was 96. But it did catch us off guard. She was so feisty and spirited until nearly the end. I am so glad and feel peace knowing she wasn't in pain for long.




Gma T loved her family like no other. She admired and loved her only child (John's mom, Nancy) so much! She was so proud of her- of the child she was, the lady she grew to be, the mom she became and the grandma she is. I remember driving Gma T home from Easter dinner and the whole way home she spoke of what a lovely person Nancy was, how many talents she had, her caring soul and various other attributes. It was so sweet! She really couldn't have been more proud! This has made me realize how important it is to tell the people who matter- just how much they matter. All the time- never take for granted that they know or assume. Leave them no doubt that they are loved, cherished and appreciated!

She gushed about her grandsons, Luke and John, to everyone that would listen. And soon she was gushing and bragging about her great grandchildren. She kept a diary in latter part of her life. The daily posts weren't lengthy- just a sentence or two. But I'm so glad we have those for the girls to read and know her better. Gma T was adored by many for her years of teaching and service to the community.

I personally loved her because of her humor and spunk. When John and I found out we were expecting the twins- he came home one day telling me how worried he was because his mom was telling his grandma about our situation. I had only met the woman a few times and was concerned that John was so concerned. I was a complete mess the next time we saw her. Worried about what she would say, disappointment like everyone else? I sat down next to her on the couch, half expecting a lecture of some sort. She patted me on the leg and said "I had never expected to live long enough to see great grandchildren- thanks for taking care of that!" and smiled her ornery smile.  I knew from that moment on- she would forever be in my heart! I would spend hours talking to her at Christmas- in the morning before the kids would wake. Her divinity was to die for! She was so proud of her heritage, what her parents endured immigrating to this country. She was a smart a*#- and I loved it! Kindred spirits...her and I! I will forever miss her.

Grandma T's ashes were laid to rest this weekend. Just a small family gathering. Exactly what she wanted...and you always did what Gma wanted! :)






This service gave us all a sense of closure. Something for the great grandkids to process. 



I wish Evie could have known her better, but the way they looked at each other in the short 9 months they had together- I feel as if they knew each other from before.


The grandkids each wrote Gma T a letter and placed photos in her box. Each had a chance to tell her goodbye. 

We love you Gma T! Corynn is like you in so many ways!  A perfect namesake! We will miss you always! 'Grandma runs' to GI won't be the same, but we still visit you every chance we get! The holidays will be hard and we will all miss you...things won't seem right without you there. Please know how much we loved you and admired you! I hope that the girls saw all of your wonderful traits, strength and humor. I hope they become women you are proud of! 

No comments: