Monday, December 29, 2008

I can finally see my floor!




I love going home to see family and spend the holidays...not necessarily because its GI town- but because its where I was born and raised and it holds a certain sentimental place for me.

I also love coming home to Lincoln...wasn't quite sure when we first moved here, but now I wouldn't truly want to live anywhere else!

Christmas was superb this year! The only downer was not seeing my brother's and their families...in some ways it just didn't feel like Christmas with out the traditional argumentative chatter! :)

I made some super yummy cheese soup for Christmas Eve and it was a great evening with my mom and grandparents. My mom gave a me a super awesome gift- a bunch of old photographs. Like pictures of when I was a baby, and some even before I was around. And when I say a bunch- I mean like 150+...I quit counting after that. I love them and will treasure them forever!





Christmas was spent at the Kelly house with grandparents and cousins...such a great family! We really had a lot of fun! We were spoiled with wonderfully awesome gifts there as well! The cousins even went out on the frozen lake...a test of courage if you will.



After stopping few other places, we finally made it back to Lincoln...and then UGH! we had to unpack! Seriously - we could not make it through our dining room for two days...and I still have a suitcase that has yet to be unpacked...maybe today.

The girls are super excited about going shopping with some gift cards they received and really want to use their rock polisher and drill...so the week off is filling up quickly with activities!



Here's the Cheese/Wild Rice Soup Recipe I used:


Wild Rice and Potato Cheese Soup

1 box Reese's wild rice 1/2 -3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 small yellow onion chopped finely
1/2 lb bacon chopped up into bite size pieces
2 cans (10 3/4 oz) cream of potato soup (diluted with one can of liquid: 1/2 milk and 1/2 water)
1 qt milk
2 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese

Cook rice according to the box (45- 60 minutes). Cook onion and bacon in a pan until bacon is crispy. Place onion and bacon mixture on paper towels to soak up the excess grease. Place potato soup and liquid in a large pot. Stir until smooth. Add bacon and onion. Add drained cooked rice and cheese. Cook on low-med until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: