Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Happy Birthday to you

Wishing the happiest of birthdays to our twinners! They are 16! Holy COW! I still remember the day they were born.

After months of them trying to come early and multiple hospital visits to try and stop them from coming too early- I was finally given the go ahead. An amino confirmed their lungs were ready and they were both head down and in position.

John, my mom, Sandi and I head to the hospital and I'm checked into a room. (Well, we are finally put in a room after I refused to leave the waiting room. They were full and didn't have any available birthing rooms for my induction. And they wanted me to come back the next day. Ummmm no.)

So finally around 11pm I was hooked up to the induction drugs. The night was pretty uneventful. My mom and little brother had chair races to entertain me. The next day was pretty good too until about 4pm. I pretty much thought I was going to die. I begged for an epidural but the anesthesiologist was gone and it would be about 30 or so minutes for him to get there. The concern was that I would have progressed too far by the time he got there for me to even get one.

After about 10 minutes I told the nurses to wheel me out to the doors and I would wait for him. Lucky for me, he must of have raced to the hospital because he arrived a few minutes later. Once the epidural was in, I was wheeled into the c-section room. It was precautionary just incase Kwynn (baby B) decided to come out breach.

I crawled up on the c-section table and got situated. The steel metal table was killing my back and the room was filled with people. Each baby had her own team of 3 nurses, and two doctors. Plus my mom, John, Sandi and Kristina were in there. Quite the party. The fact I was able to crawl up on the table and move my legs should have been an indication that the epidural wasn't working. But I had never been through this before and didn't know. Apparently when I was moving to the operation room the epidural slid out and wasn't really working.  I never loss feeling of my legs and was able to move around and go straight to the nursery after being cleaned up.

The operating room was chaotic. McKynna was born 5 pounds 10 ounces and needed forceps to help her birth. Kwynn decided to be complicated and came out feet first. The doctors were actually contemplating pushing her back in, turning her around and delivering her head first. UMMMMM NO! That SO wasn't happening and I told them as much. I delivered her breach 17 minutes after her sister. She was 4 pounds 13 ounces.  They were welcomed into the world by friends and family. The waiting room was filled with John's parents, uncle KC, aunt Sheila, and friends from church.

They were great babies and kids. I think the hardest part of raising twins is taking them to the grocery store while they are babies. The car seats take up one whole cart so you need two... one for babies and one for food. Also people/strangers stop you and ask a million questions. Multiples attract attention. John and I never felt overwhelmed with the girls and I think that is because they were our first and we didn't know any different. I do know when Corynn came...I remember thinking singletons are the easiest thing ever!

The girls have grown into such lovely young ladies! We are so blessed to have them in our family!

No comments: