Monday, December 17, 2007

Corynn's hilarious vocabulary!

We have never used baby talk with our children... not even when they were babies. Mainly because it makes you sound like your bloomin' crazy- but also because I believe kids should learn grown-up actual words to convey their thoughts. Communication is hard enough with out a language barrier. Anyway....

All of the girls have big vocabularies, but Corynn just cracks me up! This week's words are: outstanding, miraculous, fabulous and oxymoron. I have no idea where she picks up some of her words. And for the most part- she uses them correctly. The girls and I were discussing oxymorons this weekend, just a short little conversation and she quickly picked up on the word. At first she thought it was a bad word, like we were name calling. Once we explained it to her - everything was an oxymoron. Today at school- her teacher told me she was trying to explain the word to a group of kids in class. She had them (about 4 kids) in a little circle and she was trying to think of some examples. She doesn't really know what the word means- I think she just likes the sound of it. So she made up words that she thought were oxymorons. Pretty soon the whole group was pointing at things saying- "The marker is an oxymoron" or "the coat is an oxymoron". The teacher said it was quite funny. A bunch of three and four year olds calling everything an "ox-ma-ron"

When I asked her about she said "We're just not old enough for that word yet. I think its a five year old word!"

She is still learning spanish- but my favorite phrase from her is hasta luego... which comes out hotsa legos. Too cute!


1 comment:

Deb said...

That cracks me up... what a cutie!