Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful series part 6

I am thankful for my husband, John! 


John and I met when were pretty young. I was 15 and he was 17. He had actually been a friend of my older brother, before meeting me. He knew Jared had a little sister, but wasn't quite sure how old I was because he had never seen me. Then as fate would have we met. Our eyes locked from across the room and everything else going on seemed to fade away. Eventually I popped out of my puppy love stupor and Jared and John left. But that night I asked Jared a million questions about 'the boy' that he had left with earlier. After talking a bit, I told Jared that I wanted to meet him. Jared told me to forget it because I was too young and he already had a girlfriend. I just smiled.

About three months later, we were dating. And have been together pretty much ever since. I didn't have alot in common with John's friends, so we spent tons of time just hanging out and talking. I made him laugh and he made me feel special by listening to me. It's crazy to think our twins are just about the age I was when I met my future husband. YIKES!







Marrying your high school sweetheart isn't all xoxox! We had a bumpy road. We had some growing up to do, while being married with two babies. It almost didn't work. It was really hard and we decided to take a break and re-evaluate. Is this what we really wanted? Were we willing to compromise? Were we willing to focus less on ourselves and more on each other and our family? Were we ready to grow up and make this work? I am so happy we both agreed we were. We made a promise at that point- that no matter what- we were making this marriage work. One of the best decisions I ever made. I love this guy so much! We butt heads, annoy one another and know how to push each other's buttons. But part of marriage is working through those issues, riding out the storms and doing it together. Marriage is give and take, sharing and sacraficing. It's making the best out of each situation.

John and I have experienced many trials in our short 15 year marriage. We've been separated, had a child with a medical issues, financial problems, moves (7 in 8 years), we've miscarried multiple times, coped with my mom's near death health situation, his mom's cancer, the deaths of our beloved grandmas and crazy extended family members (both of my brother's have lived with us.)

And despite all that, I am so lucky to have had John by my side! To let you know how lucky I am- I would like to share a little story.

It was Christmas night 2005. It was about 8:30pm, we were staying at my mom's house. The girls were already asleep and mom and I were visiting and watching a movie. John went to meet up with a childhood friend who was in town visiting family. Nancy called to let us know that Ralph (John's great uncle) had passed on. It was a short call and I was thankful for that. My heart sank. I loved that man. He was seriously one of most genuine, kind hearted, lively people I had ever known. We had grown close those last few years. I called John. "I know you are with your friend, but I just wanted to let you know your uncle passed away. Your mom just called." He quickly said "k." and hung up. Ralph had been sick for awhile, so I thought maybe John was just saying 'K- thanks for the update.' Before I could think about it much more, he came through the door. He didn't say anything and just gave me hug. He kept saying "Audra, I'm so sorry. So so sorry." AND IT WAS HIS UNCLE! But he put my grief and feelings above his own in that moment. It's what I needed and he knew it!

And that's why I'm so thankful for John!


No comments: