Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Oh say can you see?

Corynn's 5th grade class was chosen to sing the National Anthem at a home hockey game for the Lincoln Stars last Friday. It was a fun night. I've only been to one other hockey game and that was about 11 years ago. I went with my best friend, Kristina. We had no idea what we were doing, or watching or what to expect. It was crazy! A complete 180 degree swing from NE football games. The fans are rowdy, slightly inebriated (in some cases MORE than slightly) and shouting curse words at the other team. Based on my previous experience I was a little concerned at how this was going to work with a bunch of children in the stands.

But it was all good. The fans we were seated by were fine. There was an awkward moment when two hockey players started fighting. I wanted to cheer...you are supposed to cheer...but I was also surrounded by 50 fifth graders and various family members and I didn't think was probably the best thing to do. So I quietly cheered and rooted for the Stars' player. The kids all seemed to enjoy themselves and it was a fun thing for their grade. Plus John and I were able to go with Corynn alone. The twins stayed home and watched Evie. And to make it even better- Corynn's aunt, uncle and two cousins came too!

And the game turned out to be a pretty good one! The Stars won in a shoot out 4-3! Woohoo!

Here's Corynn's class. The went out on the ice prior to the announcement of the teams. 

Corynn is the second from the right- in the white t-shirt with black long sleeves. 
The actual singing of the National Anthem was so adorable! I sometimes forget how young they are...just ten years old! I taped it for the grandparents- so so sweet! 




the gang: Amy, Ryan, Sam, John and Luke. (Corynn wasn't back from performing yet.) 


Corynn had a blast and it was fun to hang out with the cousins! Such a neat experience for kids and something I'm sure she'll remember for a long time! 

No comments: