Tuesday, November 25, 2008

inspiration

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas...actually the holiday season spanning from Thanksgiving until New Years... if you want to get specific.

There's something joyous and magical in the air; the mix of Christmas songs, chilly breezes, yummy warm wool pieces (sweaters, hats and OH YES scarves!!). The spirit of giving shines just a little brighter and if your lucky - you may even see a stranger performing a random act of kindness for their fellow man. heart warming. perfect.

I'm typically a strict day-after-Thanksgiving gal. The tree and decorations patiently wait in boxes until that superbly cozy Friday, when the children, John and I (usually still in our pjs) bring out the boxes one by one and pour over the ornaments and goodies from Christmas pasts. Its usually an all day event complete with a pizza delivery, hot chocolate and a scrumptious fire in the fireplace.

Alas- this year has been quite different. We bought a new tree this year- they were 50% off...and our old got thrown out last year. It sat in my van for 4 WHOLE DAYS because I knew if I brought it in- I would put it up. I finally couldn't wait any longer...last weekend our ordinary ranch became casa de navidad! I love it!

But I'm struggling with the mantel...I've found these inspirational photos (courtesy of BHG.com)...hoping it will push me in the right direction.


I've got a good start on it- but still looking for the right finishing touches...I'll post a pic as soon as its complete!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the inspiration. This is the first year I have a fireplace and that mantle is just staring me down, not sure how to decorate that! I am excited though and I usually wait til after Thanksgiving to decorate too.