Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Here's a good one!

One of our resolution/life changes this year- is to be a little healthier as a family. Our eating habits can leave much to be desired! I recently read an article about processed sugar and its effects on growing children...SCARY! Your just asking for a whole boatload of health problems.

So in an effort to curb our processed sugar/white flour intake- I've been trying a bunch of new recipes. Mostly whole-wheat recipes to replace my old ones.

I made whole wheat pancakes on Saturday- they weren't bad and the kids ate them up. John complained, but its a hard change to accept when you've been eating something one way for 30 years.

Yesterday I altered my lemon poppy seed recipe...substituting honey for the sugar and using whole wheat flour. They weren't bad either and the kids ate them up as if they were the old recipe. So I figure that recipe is a keeper and I wanted to share!


Here is the recipe for Honey Wheat Poppy Seed Muffins

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
**1/2-2/3 cup honey
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cooking oil
1 teaspoon Lemon Extract

Optional- yellow food coloring 5 drops (I used it because of the kids...they expect yellow when they hear lemon poppy seed muffins)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture: set aside.

In another bowl combine egg, milk, oil, lemon extract and honey- mix well. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until dry and wet ingredients are mixed and add food coloring if needed. Mix until coloring is well integrated.

Fill each cup 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Optional: Immediately dunk muffin tops in bowl of sugar and tap of excess. Place on cooling rack to cool.

** I used 1/2 cup of honey but it could have used a little more. I'm altering recipes and substituting - so its a trial and error until you find just the right ratio. But they were completely edible and tasty with the 1/2 c.

The ORIGINAL RECIPE calls for 1 3/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup sugar- but if you just want to use whole wheat and not the honey- I would up the sugar to 2/3 c.

1 comment:

Callie said...

Sounds yummy Audra! Thanks!