Sunday, January 11, 2009

Not so much...

So as you all know, I'm LDS...and this post may not be as applicable, funny or make any sense what-so-ever if you aren't associated with our beliefs- just wanted to forewarn everyone! :)

One of my callings at church is as music leader person in RS. When I was asked to receive this calling- I was told: "Its easy! Just listen to the spirit and pick songs that apply to the lesson."

I told our RS president and Bishop that I am not that great at leading music...but again I was reassured that I would be fine. Well- that wasn't quite the case today.

I'm given the lesson schedule for the year- and need to turn in the songs that I've selected for the lessons each month. Usually its pretty easy to pick songs, but this time it was SUPER easy. As I was searching the hymnal, it seemed as if the songs were just popping out at me...pages literally opening to the 'perfect' song. A few of the songs are ones I've never heard of before- but knew I was being prompted to pick these for a reason. So I embraced the feeling and made my selections.

At church today- I was informed that our lesson schedule was mixed up and that we would be singing the songs for next weeks lesson, rather than the ones I had expected to use for this week. So I quickly looked up the new songs...and they seemed easy enough. I didn't really know any of them- but hey someone always know the song...lets just hope its one of the LOUD singers!

Opening song: I had heard that one before and it was in 4:4 time- so that was easy enough.

Practice Hymn: Hmmmm....I've never heard this song before, but it was only like 2 lines so how bad could it be!? HA feaking HA!!!! Turns out NO ONE knew the song! It was the funniest thing! All you could hear was the piano and slightest hum until the final note (which was an e - and apparently everyone could find that note and they sung nice and loud!). I was so flustered...How could no one know this song? I mean I didn't know it either, but there are tons of songs I don't know. And I could swear this was one of the songs I was 'prompted' to pick. Doesn't he usually prompt you to do things in an effort to teach you? Well, I think so. And I was thinking hey! I'm going to learn a new song today! So not the case!

One of the ladies asked me to teach the song to them, which I would have gladly done- had I KNOWN the song! And if that's not bad enough- I was so flustered I couldn't get the timing down - so I just waved my hand around making funny shapes. I tried to figure out the notes- but we have a woman (who shall remain nameless) who attempts to sing the songs- but the only thing coming out of her mouth are these un-natural, nails against the chalkboard screeches. And of course- she was the loud-singer this time! I couldn't hear the right tones in my head, because all I could hear were her very loud attempts to find the right notes! I was useless....dead in the water! So I just ended it there. Said "thats enough for today" and sat down. I figured- we had all had enough "practice" time...

So I'm wondering now- if the lesson I was to learn was not that of a new song, but that I am so not qualified to be the music leader and someone messed up BIG TIME!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Haha! Don't feel bad. I was asked to be the music leader once...I was released about 4 weeks later. Despite some music background, I CANNOT lead music. Not to mention I think it's sort of a useless calling since most people follow the piano anyway (shhhh, don't tell anyone I said that!)...

Christy said...

I loved it!

I'm just glad I wasn't playing the piano because she who shall not be named makes me mess up every single time!

wendysue said...

Audra! I'm so sorry I wasn't there. . most of all to hear the screaches. I know exactly who you're talking about, and don't feel bad, she messes everyone up! And hey, it's called a practice song for a reason, I think it's good to shake everyone out of the normal songs. Even if it's just to listen to the piano play the song so everyone can just hear the notes, and maybe try singing a different time? Anyway, don't worry, you're doing great!

Callie said...

Audra, I had the same calling soon after David and I were married. It was quite the learning experience. Anyway, long story. You can go to lds.org, go to "Serving in the Church" and click on "music callings and resources". You can listen to hymns online as well to become familiar with them. I'm sure you are doing great. No one messed up! It all takes learning. You go girl!

I substituted in Primary as the chorister while living in Montana and ended up singing a solo because nobody knew one of the songs I had picked. It was a song that I had sung as a child. I should have stopped but silly me kept going on.