Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wishing it was warmer!

BRRRRRR! Its freeeeeeezzzzzzzing outside! And when I say I wish it was warmer- I'm not asking for it to be in the 70s or even the 30s...just asking for it to be above ZERO! Its mornings like these that has me wondering about all the global warming hype! :)

I don't remember it ever being really COLD when I was younger...I always remembered the snow. It felt like we had snow from Dec- March. The ground was constantly covered and it snowed all the time. (I fully recognize that this could just be a mental embellishment of childhood memories, because as a kid we loved snow...spending an afternoon outside building forts, snow ball fights and sledding at Tornado Hill. But I really do remember snow...well some snow...anyway.) This year we've only had snow twice- and one was really just a dusting, but I had to scoop the front porch so it counts in my book!

I was trying to think warm thoughts this morning as I forced myself out of bed to get the household up. The only thing that kept popping into my head was S'mores....sitting out on the back patio with the kids on a warm summer evening, roasting marshmallows and making s'mores. I'm not sure if it was the warm summer evenings- the toasty ooey gooey smores or the hot firey coals that got me- but DANG! Now that's a warm thought!

In wishing everyone warm thoughts today- here's our S'mores Nacho recipe for the oven!





ingredients

16 graham crackers
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3cup chocolate chips or 2 broken up Hershey’s bars

these are just estimates- use whatever amount looks tasty to you!

directions

1. Preheat the broiler element of the oven. Place oven rack about 6 in. below the broiler. Arrange the graham crackers in a single layer in a metal baking pan – a pie pan or square baking pan is fine. We use a cast iron pan, but do not use glass for this. Sprinkle crackers evenly and layer with marshmallows and chocolate. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until marshmallows are puffed and golden. Let cool for just a minute before serving. We all hover around and eat straight from the pan.


Oh and for those of you with fireplaces- you can totally make regular smores in there the next time you have a cozy little fire brewing. Just a thought...

1 comment:

wendysue said...

I love that idea! Whenever we make smores, I can't get the next one made fast enough. . .so this is perfect!