Thursday, October 29, 2009

baking


What better way to spend a rainy dreary fall day!? The smell of cinnamon-y Apple Muffins filled the house...yummmmmmm!

The girls and I baked a batch of the these sweet apple-liscious puffs and are seriously considering make another batch or maybe even a DOUBLE batch!

I want to learn how to make applesauce. I also want to learn how to can and make preserves. Our dream house has two mature apple trees and two lovely garden plots! Super exciting, right?!

Since I really want the house and am trying to think positive....I decided to brush up on my apple recipes. I found alot of apple pie and cake and preserve recipes. And I found alot of recipes that substituted apple sauce. Then about two weeks ago, our Organic bimonthly magazine came with recipes for preserving and canning your own applesauce. (hopefully, that's a sign!)

Having all those things mingling around my noggin for a week or so...I came up with this muffin recipe. Actually its a combination of about three recipes...bits and pieces added together or subtracted until I had perfected it. At least it was perfect in my head...now came time to try it out.

I help with a group of girls from church- and the activity for today was canceled because of the rain. So we had the girls meet at my house instead. One of the projects was baking...so we tried out my muffins. Now I know- you should really try a recipe out before making three dozen of them to send home with the girls...but I didn't have time.

Disaster averted! The recipe was a success!

Here it is:

1 1/2c unsweetened applesauce
1 c white sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 c melted butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c quick oats

Optional add ins: crushed walnuts, raisins (I always add in 1 cup increments)

Mix together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour and cinnamon. Set aside. Mix remaining ingredients (minus the oats) in mixing bowl. Slowly add in dry mixture until well blended. Fold in any additional add ins - I always add oats to my breads and muffins.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

What would make this recipe even more perfect you ask...some hazelnut spiced butter! heaven!


If nothing else- it really makes your house smell yummy and warm!

No comments: