Thursday, March 15, 2007


My mother-in-law...

My mother-in-law is an amazing woman! Partially because she survived the raising of my husband (haha), but mostly because she is courageous and strong! In late January, during a routine dr visit, a lump was found on her breast. She had breast cancer almost 20 years ago but fought it successfully with chemo and radiation. This time she wanted to be sure there would be no relapse and opted for a double mastectomy. Her surgery was just last week and she is doing great. But I didn't want this post to focus on this one experience- because this has not been one to define her.
She was already a strong woman! She is such a tiny lady...only five foot and barely 100lbs...and I have always been a bit afraid of her. NOT because she was mean or anything, but because she seemed to have everything figured out. Its a little scary to meet someone so put together...who has it all under control. She is well respected in community and is truly a wonderful mom and grandma. She is creative, informative and has taught me a great deal about being a good wife, mother and overall person. I have been with her son for 11 years and we have been married nine of those. Our marriage didn't start out under the greatest of circumstances and she made the best out of a bad situation. I know it must have been hard for her, but she was supportive, loving and generous and allowed us to make our own decisions. They weren't the greatest decisions and we nearly drove her crazy- I am sure of it! But she continued to support us and guide us and I will never forget that!
Up until last week I thought she was invincible- that she would live forever. But when I saw her in that hospital room hooked up to machines it hit me just how strong of a woman she is. She is the backbone of the family. She is the voice of reason and the one who keeps everyone on track. She is one we all call when we need to know something about cooking, projects in the home, kids, fevers and everything else. Now don't get me wrong, My mother in law and I have butted heads many of times...but I respect her and would be lost with out her around- and so would the rest of the family. She is a giver, a matriarch, a friend, a mentor, a wonderful cook, an amazing seamstress, super creative and once again she is a survivor. We are all so lucky and grateful to be able to call her family! We love you, Nancy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

she sounds wonderful and are sweet to be so open about how you feel!

Deb said...

Wow, thanks for sharing... that gave me chills. I will be thinking of her.....

Audra said...

I have a picture of her that I wanted to post- but I was afraid she might hurt me...haha...its one of those blackmail pics you keep in storage for "just incase".

Hollie said...

Wow, she does sound great! Thanks for sharing.

I love blackmail pictures:)