Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Written Word


"I'm addicted to the written word..."

Me too! Me too! I love books! So much so that my life has to hit the pause button until the last page is read. There's something to be said about losing yourself in another person's life...the fictional characters are what I prefer- although I do read a few biographies every year. There are some seriously fascinating people out there!

But fiction is my passion. Not the 'way out there' stuff involving other planets and stuff, but just good old fashioned story telling. I love a good story. The way the stage is set, how the characters are introduced, how the drama unfolds and the superbly satisfying ending. How can you not love it!? Its like a really good movie- but it lasts longer and you don't have to put up with mediocre acting...because in your head every scene is perfect!

I'm in need of some good books. I've been frequenting the library and am through the Fiction section all the way to the Qs. I haven't read every book (A-Q) just the ones that appealed, but I did look through almost all of them, reading the cover and what not to see if it warranted a full days attention to read it. I've read ALOT of them though- some where so-so, some were great and some where not very good at all. I'm one of those loyal readers- who gives a book every chance to 'get better' chapter by chapter. I think I've only NOT finished two books...but I don't think you can fully envelop the story unless you give it fair chance by reading it cover to cover.

I find myself much more inclined to read a book than watch tv. And so do my children- thank goodness! The girls love their books! The twins have just started the Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie series. They need to know the classics! Most dads who have a house full of daughters- fear the mall...clothing, shoes, handbags etc. Right now I think John fears Barnes and Noble! Our shopping trips there are enough to make him crazy. I recently went to a used book sale at the mall and came home with like 20 books...I would have bought more but my arms were full! It was like Christmas morning when the girls got home and saw the new additions laid out on the counter!

Some of my favorite books aren't even ones that can be read...I have a small collection of 18th and 19th century hymnals and some educational readers from the early 1800s. Love them!


Anyway- I guess what I'm saying is books are awesome! Cookbooks, fiction, biographies, collections of poems, botanical reference books, photographic travel journals of far away places and even the quintessential coffee table book...they are all GOOD!

3 comments:

wendysue said...

Q? Holy cow! I wish I were a reader like that! I try. . well, I "aspire" to try and read, read, read, but I just need to make time to do it. Do you have our book club lists? I can email them to you. . . Some of our favs have been The thirteenth tale, Pope Joan, and a good thought provoking book is Journal of the Dead (I've got it if you want to borrow it. . )

Audra said...

I've requested The thirteenth Tale...should get it next week...I'd love to borrow Journal of the Dead- sounds interesting! Thanks

Rachel said...

I love to read too, not quite as much as you it looks like. You are a great example. How do you get your girls to read? I struggle with Bekah on that.