Thursday, March 28, 2013

quotes

Have you ever heard a quote or passage that has changed your life? I mean, the world is full of wise words and inspirational messages- but a really good, hits you in the heart and leaves an impression kind of quote?

I have three that have changed or impressed me.

1). Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.


John and I were separated for a time. And this quote really helped me. I realized that I was holding him to a unrealistic expectation and ideal. Which wasn't fair to him. He would never measure up to the 'perfect man' I had dreamt up in my head. No one could. And it wasn't fair to him. It was one of the major changes I made in our marriage...and things have been going pretty great!!!

2). You're not a dog- so why are you rewarding yourself with food?

I'm really trying to become more health conscience and this kind of hit home. I realized I would reward myself for things with sweets or chocolate or soda. And not only rewarding but justifying eating it. I was convincing myself I deserved this ice cream cone because its been one of those days. Or because I worked out this morning. Its crazy! Looking back, I'm in awe that I would think about food in that way. 

3). The best things in life aren't things. 

We didn't have much growing up. But we have a ton of memories and stories. We learned valuable life lessons and strengthened our faith. In my 20s I got caught up in wanting material things. Maybe because I didn't have them growing up, maybe to prove to myself I should/could have them, maybe because that's what magazines and design shows told me I needed. I don't know. But now I firmly believe in only filling our house with meaningful possessions. There are a few pretty things we have just because I like them, but for the most part there is a memory or story attached. 

And this really hit home on vacation. We will probably never visit Honduras, Belize or Mexico again and to remember our adventures I bought a few pieces of art. A stunning bowl carved by an artist in Belize and a stone decorated fish in Honduras. One that's proceeds specifically went to the local schools. When I look at those things- I'm reminded of memories and the fun we had as a family. And even though I value these possessions- they are nothing compared to my family. My children and husband are my world. I'm not sure what my life would be without them. As long as were together- it will all be ok! I also love my extended family. John's family and mine will always be in our hearts! Friends, family and memories are what makes a life well lived! At least in my book

No comments: