Monday, June 22, 2009

YUMMY

I find a certain comfort and satisfaction in cooking and baking...not sure what it is! But you can definitely tell when I'm trying to deal with something- because I'll be baking and cooking up a storm!

Tonight's dinner was inspired from a recent visit to the Farmer's market. I love going there! All that fresh lovely produce...organic...local...ahhhhh!

My only qualm with the going to farmer's market...is yes, there's all this lovely mouthwatering goodness...but what am I going to do with it!? Salads, blts, kettle corn to snack on...what else!?

So I've been researching meals that utilize fresh yummy veggies and produce. If you have a stocked garden...then you are doubly blessed! When we move...if we move...I'm going to have the biggest baddest garden ever! I can see it now...rows of spinach, kale, carrot, onions, tomatoes, radd...er-wait...what was I talking about!?

Oh ya - fresh produce!

OK- so I made corn and black bean relish served over a chicken breast with some flour taco chips and a spinach salad. Here's the recipe!



2 ears of corn cooked and shaved off
1 15 oz can of black beans; drained and rinsed
1 large tomato chopped up (about 2 cups)
1/3 cup red onion chopped (a trick with red onion- if you think its too strong...soak it in cold water for five minutes...this will take down the potency of red onion when serving raw!)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 T EVOO
1 T lemon juice
1 t salt
1/2 black pepper

Whisk together the EVOO, lemon juice, salt and pepper for about a minute. Place the chopped red onion, tomato, black beans, corn and cilantro in a bowl. Pour EVOO mixture over top and toss together until well combined. Makes 4 servings.

Serve over grilled or baked chicken. Be generous! Serve with taco chips as a make shift salsa-like side dish. It can also be refrigerated for a few days. YUM!

I seriously hope ya'll try it!

2 comments:

wendysue said...

Delish! That's exactly why we started a garden this year. I just wanted the stuff to make fresh salsa! MMM!

Kindergarten Team said...

Um, pretty sure I will be making this soon!!! Delicious.