Monday, January 21, 2013

banana bread

Yesterday was a lazy day around our house. The twins were in the basement playing video games, Evie was taking a nap and Corynn had a friend over and they were playing upstairs.

I had some bananas just asking to be made into banana bread so I quickly made up a batch and threw them in the oven. As the aroma filled the house, the kids started congregating in the kitchen. They would look in the oven or check the counter to see if the loaves of yummy goodness were done. And then check back a few minutes later. As soon as they were on the cooling rack, John asked if they were too warm to cut.


So I decided to share my favorite no fail banana bread recipe. I say no fail because I used to have issues with the outside being done but the inside still doughy. Or it wouldn't have a nice rise (dome) to the loaf.

But this recipe is perfect! Perfect loaves everytime! 

4 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda mixed with 1/2 c milk
3 tbs melted butter
1 c sugar
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts (we like pecans)
1 c quick oats (I add oats to everything!)

MIx the bananas, sugar, eggs, milk mixture and butter together. Then add in the the flour, salt and baking powder. Fold in the oats and nuts.


This makes 3 small loaves. Small loaves bake more consistently, I've found. I grease and flour each pan, pour in the batter and bake all three loaves together on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.

From time to time I've changed things up a bit by adding a pinch of cinnamon or a pinch of nutmeg. I've even added a handful of chocolate chips. Pep it up anyway you like!




No comments: