Tuesday, September 17, 2013

stolen phone

Well, today was interesting. Kynna came to the car after school looking upset. Come to find out- someone stole her phone from inside her backpack. We used my phone to put it into Lost mode, it indicated that the phone was still at the school so we headed home.

Once home, alert messages started coming in telling us that the phone was on the move. We went back to the school and had the lost phone make noise so we could look for it. But who ever had it - turned it off ...apparently so it would quit making noise. At that point we knew it was stolen.

I sent the phone a text pretty much quoting Liam Neeson from the movie Taken...this is what it said. "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reward, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my daughter's phone now, that'll be the end of it. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.  HA! K- not the kill part. 


She turned it back on while I was out picking up Corynn from school. The GPS indicated it was just a mile or so away- so Corynn, Evie and I went to investigate. We looked along the sidewalk, in an open lot and a side yard. But another alert message came in saying that someone was trying to use the phone. And GPS gave me the address to the house of the yard I was standing in. So I told Corynn to go back to the car and sit with Evie.

 I went up to the door and knocked. A teenage girl answered the door with a LSE badge on...so I knew this was it. I pointed to the app on my phone and said "This dot tells me that you have my daughter's phone. I need it back." She looked absolutely dumbfounded and in shock that I was at her front door. She immediately started fumbling out stupid excuses and a story about how she found it and was going to call and ....

I gave her the ya-sure-right-uh huh- I sooo believe you- face, and replied with "Whatever- just get the phone." She comes back with the phone, stripped of it's otterbox case. I asked where the case was. Her reply set me off. She said that's how she found it. At that point I went off on her. Asking her if she found it at school- then why didn't she turn it into the office. And why didn't you call the phone number on the lock screen...a screen that said "LOST PHONE- CALL xxx-xxx-xxxx". And don't you know smart phones are traceable? And why did you steal it anyway?  And...and...and...

Of course I didn't wait for her to answer any of those questions before I went into the parental part of my verbal bashing. Saying how I'm so sick of stupid teenagers today, and their lack of morals. They think they can just do whatever they want. And did you really think you could just steal something?

The only thing she said was Sorry... about 50 times. I asked to talk to her mom, but she wasn't home. I left telling her to grow up and be a better person. Then got into my mini van and left.

Damn kids anyway!

No comments: